This is one of my more recent projects, a six drawer chest in genuine (South American) mahogany. Designed and built as a tool chest as part of the requirements of the two year program at North Bennet Street School, I'm sure there may be some feedback about this being too much for a tool chest, but the reality is that it is a portfolio piece that showcases a persons work, and besides, I like it! In reality, this chest could be a silver chest, a collectables chest, or scaled up for many purposes. I designed it specifically to house my growing collection of carving chisels, which is the reason for the evenly spaced drawers. The chest is about 30" wide, 17" tall and 18" deep.
tool_chest_final-sm-1.jpg
The mahogany was all sourced from Irion Lumber, except for the crotch mahogany raised panel which was resawn from 6/4 stock sourced from rare Woods in Mexico, Maine, and the hardware is from Whitechapel. The curly maple drawer sides are native NH and I had sawn from a log about 18 months ago.
tool_chest_final-sm-2.jpg
All of the dovetails, and there are well over 100, are hand cut and all surfaces hand planed and scraped. The finish is hand rubbed shellac following a potassium dichromate treatment on the mahogany, except for the crotch mahogany raised panel.
tool_chest_final-sm-3.jpg
Thanks for looking,

Roger