This is a work in progress, I will update the title with pictures when done.
My grandma has started needing a cane to help her walk farther distances and I wanted to make her a nice one. I bought a bunch of mango and purple heart for a bunk bed I am going to work on and I know I will have extra.
So my thought was to make a cane out of one strip or mango (light color) and one strip of purpleheart (dark color) for a nice contrast and glue them together. I originally thought about steam bending it but that is too much work to get two pieces of wood bent right and then glued so my current idea is just make a long shaft of the two woods and then take a section of it and make a horizontal handle to be screwed on top. So I am thinking a strip of each wood about 1"x1/2" and glueing them together to get a 1" square shaft. Then take a router to it to get a nice round shaft, sand, and finish. Probably bolt and/or glue the top horizontal handle on. Lastly I am thinking of some type of accent wood or item I can set inside the handle. I will post what I figure out when I get to it.

I can't wait to get started but I would appreciate it if anyone sees any fundamental design flaws in my plan. I will try to take photos along the way too. I might even make a few and sell the extras to support my woodwork.