Thread: Lee Valley Pointed router plane blade - what do you use it for?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lee Valley Pointed router plane blade - what do you use it for?

I was monkeying around with my router plane today, using it for leveling a recessed field in a gift I'm working for for my wife.

I tried experimenting with the pointed blade, which Lee Valley says is for final smoothing. It worked well at times in regards to grain direction, because of the small area I was working in, it let me work with a little more skew. But in general, once again, I haven't quite found the use for it. Do any of you folks use one of these? Am I missing something?

The first thought that occurs to me is that maybe I'm sharpening it wrong, but because of the tilt of the blade in relation to the sole (the blade isn't perfectly parallel to the sole, of course, because then you'd have no clearance angle) it really only cuts at the very point unless I'm taking a rather large cut. It works well for that at times, but that seems sort of against LV's suggestion on the product page that it's for final smoothing. Should I try and sharpen it such that more than the just the tip of the point contacts the wood? I guess it could be handy for some corners, but the slightly less than 90 degrees of the flat blade lets me get into most corners fine.

Just curious.
    Last edited by Jessica Pierce-LaRose; 12-05-2013 at 7:51 PM.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice