Hi Everyone,

I'm sure you get post like this from newbies all the time and I apologize in advance if this topic is old hat for the Turner's here:

I have never done any turning. I am currently working on a Cherry chest on chest that requires split turning columns. These columns will be approximately 2 1/2" in diameter, mostly have a round cross-section and I will have to find a way to cut flutes/grooves in the long axis along the columns. In addition, I will have to turn the "Capitals" which have a square cross-section and then transition with a bead to the round columns.

Coincidentally, I just inherited a 30-year-old Lathe new in the box that my Dad bought from the last private hardware store in our neighborhood just before the BORGS drove them out of business.I'm not familiar with waves but it seems to me to be a "homeowner/handyman" level tool, rather than a professional grade.

What are the basic turning tools I will need to do the work above? My budget has some constraints, but I would like to start with reasonably high quality versions of basic turning/cutting tools that I can build on over time and will allow me to do a broader range of turned workas I build my skills. Beyond the immediate need to turn the columns I described, I would also like to be able to turn a few small knobs, drawer pulls etc.

For example, should I consider buying vintage tools off the mega auction site or go with contemporary tools? Is there a good starter book I should get to learn the basics of turning so I don't kill myself?

In the other elements of my woodwork I use hand tools extensively and have a standard bench grinder along with Waterstone's I use for sharpening my edge tools (planes, chisels etc.) and have no trouble keeping them sharp.

Any and all advice and suggestions are very much appreciated!

Many thanks, Mike