Thread: Got me a new lathe!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Got me a new lathe!

I have been saving for quite a while for a Robust AB lathe and was still several thousand short, when I phone call from my buddy Jim Adkins came in and he offered to sell me his "extra" lathe. A VicMarc VL300 (3HP, 23.5" swing)! He won it a couple years ago and after deciding that his Stubby was enough for him, he sold me the VicMarc. So... My wife and I made the road trip to SE Missouri yeasterday and came back today. Not a lot of visiting time, but we made the most of it and enjoyed seeing Jim and his better half. Jim also included a VicMarc chuck, a Robust tool rest and a OneWay live center that he had purposely bought just for this lathe! More goodies for me!!

I got it into the shop tonight but was toooo tired to take the skids off, move it into place and bolt the extra 19" bed extension and outboard turning attachment to the lathe ....tonight. I will get that stuff done tomorrow. Its a beast of a lathe and with the add-ons it will be between 750-800lbs with an ability to turn a 38" spindle. I can't wait to chuck up something big and turn without worry of the lathe walking across the floor and using the variable speed!! Whohoo!. Thanks to Jim Adkins for a great time, good eats and a great deal on this lathe. It will get used at my place!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------