That's an odd feeling. I've been an hobbyist woodworker for over 20 years. Several projects a year. Beds, entertainment centers, tables, cabinets, etc. I filled my home with furniture and stuff over the years. Then a big life change and my priorities changed, got busy with other things, and been out of the shop for about 3-4 years. Only doing simple stuff around the house, maybe a Christmas gift or two, but no big projects.

So with my son getting his first real place, I decided to make him a few things. Ugh! I really lost the mojo.

Tons of rookie mistakes. Forgetting that Ply is not 3/4 but 23/32. Cutting on the wrong side of the line. Not checking square on glue up. Forgetting when and how to wipe off glue drips... Really stupid stuff. Things that I used to do automatically without thinking, I must now plan ahead for and really concentrate on.

Interesting how the mind works, when you get good at something, automation takes over, now I must really think it through. I'll have to just go slower and be more careful and triple check everything.

Of course, this could all just be old age. But I prefer to call it "out of practice".