Thread: My Upcoming PWW Article ;-)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My Upcoming PWW Article ;-)

I'm currently working on an article for PWW. The fact that it isn't yet complete nor has it been vetted by PWW is a mere technicality. Given the content I think we can all be quite confident that Megan will select it for immediate publication.

The topic centers on cats and woodworking. It is no new topic, but one that is often passed over by novices and masters alike. If one searches through old woodworking texts they will most certainly find references to cats. The most famous perhaps is from Joseph Moxon's introductory sentence to The Art of Joinery in the Moxon's Mechanick Excercises or the Doctrine of Handy-Works: "Joinery, is an Art Manual, whereby feveral Pieces of Wood are fo fitted and join'd together by Straight-line, Squares or Miters or any bevel, that they fhall feem one intire Piece through which a single cats hair may not pass"

Moxon's opus focus's on the technical aspects of woodworking, thus his feline reference's tend to be used to illuminate certain techniques. My article will focus on the similarities between owning cats and woodworking and thus will be most relevant to those individuals who are considering getting into the craft.

I plan on submitting a complete copy no later than March 29th and expect that it will be published in the April issue:

Since that's a ways off here is a quick overview of what will be covered to hold you over until its publication:
    __________________________________________________ ______________________

Cats and woodworking both lead to you replacing much of your furniture

Planing against the grain may lead to tearout. Petting a cat against the grain will get you torn up.

The longer you own cats the the more of your living space they, and their cat related items, will occupy. Similarly the longer you woodwork the more of your living space your shop and tools will occupy.

You can never have too many cats, much in the same way as you can never have too many planes or chisels.

It is very easy to unintentionally adopt yet another cat, much in the same way it is easy to unintentionally win an auction for a tool on Ebay. In both cases the following sentence is uttered..."But honey, no one else wanted it and I don't have one like this yet"

Over time you will spend an increasing amount of time with your cats and a decreasing amount of time with your spouse or significant other. Certainly, over time you will spend an increasing amount of time in your workshop and a decreasing amount of time with your spouse or significant other.

Owning cats, much like starting woodworking, ends up being MUCH more expensive than you first anticipated.

You will show pictures of your cats to all your friends and colleagues as well as post photos of them to Facebook and forums, because in your eyes they are beautiful and exceptional (even though they are actually very ordinary). You will show pictures of your projects to all your friend and colleagues as well as post photos of them to Facebook and forums, because in your eyes they are beautiful and exceptional (even though they are actually very ordinary).

And last but not least....both cats and woodworking will often confuse you and frustrate you, but in spite of this fact...both will give you endless hours of joy and entertainment.

Look for this and more sage advise on cats and woodworking in April!

(some or all of the above may be exaggerated or entirely made up. I am not responsible for any injury you sustain while woodworking or playing with your cats, nor for your disappointment when you get your April issue of PWW and it does not actually contain this article)
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 01-30-2014 at 1:06 PM.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...