Hello all, I am new to the forum, but have a couple questions I think you may be able to help me out with.

My wife would like to start laser engraving glassware and various small items, and would like to tie it into a small home-based business she already has. The problem is.....neither of us have ever done it before.

My main questions are:

How difficult is it to start learning the process? We have been researching everything we can, and from what I see it doesn't seem fairly difficult to start, but I figured I would start asking professionals here for the true answer. I plan on buying a lot of cheap media to practice on, like anodized aluminum plates, thrift store glassware, cheap acrylic templates, etc.

Also,

What kind of laser would one recommend for a new learner?

A little background on this, I would love to get her a good machine that she can expand into once she gets going, I have been looking at the Boss Laser LS 1620, priced at around $7000 for the complete package we would need to start up completely turn-key. Is this a decent choice for both quality and ease of use for a beginner? She wants to do glassware, so I know I would need to get her something with the required depth, as well as a rotary stand (not sure of the differences between chuck and roller, another question...).

Is there a better choice in that price range?

I really appreciate any input or advice as I am ready to do this for her and just want to do it right.