yeah........I know, I've heard the saying at least a hundred times........."life is too short to turn crappy wood!" But this is not just any wood.......it is 350 + year old wood from the civil war era........the Stonewall Jackson Prayer Tree. Not to mention the safety issues!!! The worst stuff I have ever worked with, yet because it is historical and the newspaper and TV station recently ran another set of articles and spots on the things our club has made........well you know how it goes.........you get calls from people you know and many you don't know.........who want you to make them something.

One such call was from a relative of one of our precious ladies at the church......she gave me a list.....and one was
"please make me a bowl".......I explained, the wood is in such bad shape, I don't know if there is a piece that I have big enough to make a bowl! Well, "please.......if at all possible, make me a bowl!?!"

"I will try..........I can't promise, but I will try.....that is the best I can do!" Of course, her list has several smaller items as well, but she wants a bowl! I gotta learn how to say no!

Well, with some skillfully administered finesse, I managed to get this to the state you see here in the pics without completely detonating! Pucker factor............well yeah!

I want some input from some of you who have experience with this type of cracking in oak. [white oak]

At the point this is at, what would you use to fill the cracks? Do you even think that I should allow this lady to have this, if the cracks are filled? I tried as I said I would, and it IS a bowl........it is historical civil war era wood, and has been made even more famous by all the media attention..........

For me personally, a piece like this does not represent the general quality of my work.....and I am hesitant, but previous notice was given and she said "Please ............."

It is still on the lathe, and I am interested in your advice on making this a viable piece for this lady......

Go for it with a repair, or too far gone, taking into consideration the value placed on this by the historical nature and the meaning the lady puts on it?

IMG_0369.jpg IMG_0370.jpgIMG_0371.jpg IMG_0372.jpg