Thread: Campaign Stool ( a la Schwarz )

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )

Campaign Stool ( a la Schwarz )

Greetings:
    This is my first post in projects; I usually hang in the Neander section of SMC.
    Not a big deal, but I was struck with the recent hoopla over the Campaign Stool - it combines a couple disciplines, and I had always wanted to do leather stitching, this project was the impetus to do so.
    I only own a Midi lathe, so I got to use my buddies Oneway, that in itself was a treat. The photos are the white oak version, I turned two sets of legs in Pacific Yew, one in Eastern maple, and one in birch ( I think ). The seats aren't done for the last four as of yet. I finished the legs on the lathe with Briwax Golden Oak. I was careful with grain orientation and drilling the through holes; a 2x4 cradle with a groove facilitated working with the round legs.

I got the leather from Tandy, as well as a leather stitching kit, and that went reasonably well - the hardest part of the whole thing was stitching ' around the corner ' with the pocket for the leg in the back. The leather was an ' Austin Double Shoulder ' 8 - 10 oz. weight, and it was very supple material to work with that already feels broken in.

I used the three bolt latest upgrade as well: easily done with very good instructions from Chris' blog for the bolts and the build in general.

All in all, a very nice, functional project that will give much service in the future.

Please excuse the cell phone pics, but they will give you an idea of the project. I recommend it highly.

Dave B
    Attached Images Attached Images