Thread: Powermatic 66 refurbish

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    "I know zero zilch nada nothing about spray guns. Never used one. Anybody out there to give a little advice?"
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________________

The type of spray system you are thinking of seems like the inexpensive type I had for many years--a compressor that runs continuously without an intermediate storage tank. This worked well enough for my occasional use but had a serious drawback in that the airstream through the gun continued after the trigger released. Result was a constant blast of air that required attention to where it was pointed when not actually spraying. Another problem was that it constantly roared loudly, quite annoying, but I learned to live with it. The compressor finally wore out and I replaced it with another, larger, more expensive, type that sucked paint from a bucket but that took much too much trouble to learn, use, and clean after use.

I now have the Earlex unit (available from Rockler and other places). This is, for my occasional use, far superior to either of the other types. Yes, it costs more than you are considering, but is definitely worth doing a little research by scanning user reviews of the Earlex system before you commit.

EDIT: Just after posting the above I found in my inbox an ad from Woodcraft for the Earlex 5500 (latest improved model) for 300 bucks.

Also, Jim, I forgot to mention earlier what a great job you are doing on the PM 66 refurbishment! Please keep us posted on the project.
    Last edited by David Winer; 03-29-2014 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Another thought.