I've still been busy with projects around the house, but I did find some time to get this piece turned. Our club demonstration last month was on turning a manta ray bowl, so I decided to give it a try.
Hooked corners flying by at 1200 rpms keeps your attention focused and I managed to keep all my fingers intact. Then the opposing wings were carved off and then blended in with the bowl and remaining wings. I decided to go with 2 up and 2 down, but it could also be done with 3 and 1 in either direction, just a personal choice.
Once sanding was complete, I used my burner to texture the "up" wings, then dyed the wings and lid black. I was going to turn a mini manta ray for the knob but the blank I used was a little too thin and I was running short of time, so I just went for a similar form with 4 upturned wings.
It's about 8" x 8" and 5-6" tall, the form, lid and knob are all mesquite and it's finished with antique oil.
I've got a few more pieces in varying stages of completion, and hopefully I'll have time to get them finished and get back to posting on a more regular basis.
PICT0003.JPGPICT0002.JPGPICT0004.JPGPICT0005.JPGPICT0007.JPGPICT0006.JPG
Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.