This should probably be two posts but I thought I'd give it a shot with just one.

I bought this lathe 20 years ago and have used it very sparingly until recently. My children have become interested in turning and so I find we are turning something every weekend. I'm getting tired of using a 3/4" wrench to adjust the tailstock and tool rest. I see newer lathes have ratcheting handles and am wondering if I can do the same with some handles from McMaster Carr. I'm not sure which you guys would suggest.

Here's an example of the lathe.
10624-A.jpg

I'm debating between these two types of handles. Both are metal but the one on the left is die cast zinc and I'm afraid it won't hold up to the use and vibration seen on a lathe.

I'm looking to put three handles on the lathe. One on the tailstock and two on the steady rest, one to lock it to the bed and the other to lock the rest height. They're all 1/2" x 13 tpi which is convenient.

Second question is I would really like to get a new tool rest. When I bought this lathe it only had a 6" straight rest and most of my turning is +24". I'm looking for suggestions on a good economical 12" tool rest. It's got a 1" shaft which appears to be pretty standard. I'm leaning toward this one from Woodcraft but would like suggestions.

Thanks a bunch in advance. I'm a novice wood turner and am liking the time I've been spending with the kids. Up to this point our shared shop time has been building bird houses.

Wes