Hi,

New here, first post.

I'm into woodworking as a hobby and would like to make small boxes (jewelry boxes, small wooden tool boxes, boxes for games, desks etc).
I resaw most of my wood from maple, cherry, ash, oak etc. from the wood pile, some purchased exotic woods and other local sorces. I'd generally like to work with wd that is between 1/4" - 1/2" thick.

I'd like to incorporate (small) through dovetail and finger joints into some of my work. I'd like to get a dovetail jig so I can make through dovetails and box (finger) joints with my Bosch 1617EVSPK.

Since I'm working with small boxes, I need the dovetails and finger joints to be on the smaller side, preferrably 1/4" with 1/2" spacing.

I've never used a dovetail jig, so I'm looking for recommendations for the right jig. Since this is a hobby, I would hope that I won't need to spend $400 on a jig, but am willing to save up to get the tool that I need.

Here's some of what I've discovered, so far:

The Leigh D4 is one of the most versatile jigs, very well liked, but more difficult to set up and expensive. (Probably beyond what I am willing to spend)

The Akeda DC-16 is also quite versatile, has a nice work surface, has dust collection and is quite a bit easier to set up than the Leigh jig. (This jig has my attention, as I like the variable spacing, clamping system and general ease of use)

The PC Omnijig seems well liked but I don't know a lot about it.

The PC 4212 is easy to set up, has a nice built-in depth gauge, great clamping and has the 4215 template for smaller dovetails and closer spacing, but is made primarily for even spacing of tails/fingers. At less than $150 plus the smaller template, it's very affordable. (Likely to be the jig that I choose, unless I can find something more suited to my needs)

I don't really need to make blind dovetails, need the smaller scale tails/fingers and want the ability to clamp my work. I can live with uniform spacing or having to reset my work to achieve custom spacing if needed.

What I don't know about the Akeda DC-16 is the minimum spacing and minimum size of joint, from what I can tell, it does not provide for the close spacing/small joint that I want to make.

I appreciate any recommendations, suggestions or comments that you can provide.

Thanks,

Dave