Good afternoon - It has been ages since I've posted and equally long since I've done anything with wood other than 2 x materials. My wife has decided that she'd like a Murphy bed in what will become our guest room/office. We've already purchased hardware and plans from Create-A-Bed.com and found a picture of what we'd like the finished project to resemble. The CAB plans are pretty straighforward but where I foresee issues, and could use assistance, is melding the CAB plan to this:

murphybed_1.jpg

The queen bed face panel consists of two pieces of 3/4" plywood placed side by side for a finished dimensions of 64 x 81 3/4". To match the look in the photo I plan to add a PSA backed veneer (never worked with a veneer before and do not have vacuum press) to the face panel to hide the seam. Based on the panel size, I assume this is how the manufacturer, murphybeds.com, achieved the look.

I have a PC biscuit jointer but since the face panels are attached to the inner bed frame is it necessary to join the two 32 x 81 3/4" halves together? The plans don't specify that these pieces need to be joined and from my initial research, edge jointing plywood doesn't always result in a seamless panel.

For plywood material, I'm thinking about appleply unless it is 1) unavailable locally here in SoCal or 2) prohibitively expensive when paired with the price of veneer. For the veneer, maple, PSA backed 10mil. I'd be willing to try hammer veneering but haven't found many articles/tutorials on using this method with large panels. In total, I'll need to veneer the face panel, headboard, side cabinets, bed cabinet and side cabinet backs, and drawer fronts. Am I setting myself up for failure? If I thought I could get the front panel to look right I'd skip the veneering and get maple veneered plywood. Suggestions?

My garage and tools are minimal consisting of: circular saw, PC biscuit jointer, router, drill, and few other hand tools. I do not have access to table saw

I plan to keep this thread going as I figure things out. Thanks for reading and any suggestions would be most appreciated!!

maurice