When it comes to wiring, one can never be too safe. I've spent a lot of time looking through posts and think I know how to safely complete the 240-volt wiring in my basement woodshop but thought I'd post my plans just to ensure I'm not making any mistakes. I currently have four woodworking machines requiring 240-volts that I'd like to wire up:

1) 1.5 HP Dust Collector: 5.5-amp (manual specifies minimum 15-amp circuit)
2) 1.5 HP Jointer: 7.5-amp (manual specifies minimum 15-amp circuit)
3) 3 HP Planer: 15-amp (manual specifies minimum 20-amp circuit)
4) 2 HP Shopsmith Mark 7: Hasn't arrived yet and no access to manual. Advertising states it works on 15-amps @ 120-volt so @ 240-volt 15-amps should be sufficient for the DVR motor (Digital Variable Reluctance).

I plan to hang these on two 240-volt 20-amp circuits. The center of the woodshop is about 40' from the main electric panel for the home so there's no need to run a subpanel. Both circuits will use a Siemens Q220 20-amp 2-pole 240-volt circuit breaker. Wiring will be 12-gauge. The first circuit will have a single 20-amp receptacle. I plan on using this circuit exclusively for the dust collector since it'll be running at the same time any of the other tools are running. The second circuit will have two 20-amp duplex receptacles in the same junction box providing four outlets. This allows me to plug in the jointer, planer, and Shopsmith all at the same time and provides one extra outlet for a future tool. In general, there would never be a reason to have two of these tools running at the same time.

Does this all sound like a good safe plan? Note that I have two additional 120-volt 20-amp circuits for general 120-volt tool use.

My primary concern was finding out if all three tools could be on the same circuit without issue and if by chance two did get switched on at the same time there wouldn't be any danger to the circuit or the motors running on it. From what I think I've read in the forums, 240-volt circuits at 20-amps or less have the same rules as 120-volt circuits. You can put multiple outlets on them, they can be used at the same time, and if a circuit overloads, the breaker trips. It's only 240-volt circuits at 30-amps and greater that have to be dedicated to a single tool? Am I understanding things correctly? The requirements for the Shopsmith and jointer seem small enough that they could potentially run at the same time on the same 240-volt circuit and I'm wondering if that's safe.

Thanks for any info!