Thread: First patinated metal Critique welcomed on turning and patina

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

First patinated metal Critique welcomed on turning and patina

This is my first attempt at a metal leaf with patina on a wood bowl. I have a lot to learn, but I like the effect. I didn't get a profile shot yet, but it is an ogee shape. I still think the wood is the main interest on these pieces so I didn't really want to cover too much in metal leaf. I thought for my first attempt, a bowl rim should be sufficient. As a preview of my second piece, it will be a bowl with patina on the rim as well. If you look closely, you can see the wood grain in the leaf. The bowl is ash, and comes in with an industrial heft at almost 1/2 inch thick. It is 11" diameter, and 2.25" tall. I had originally planned to make it much thinner, but when I got to the 1/2 inch point it just looked right to me. I haven't lacquered the bottom yet, because it is not signed. I am having trouble finding a pen that shows well on such a medium toned wood. Maybe I'll get a rubber stamp made with my signature, and stamp the bottom with leaf sizing. Then I'll "Leaf" my signature on the bottom in gold. Thank you to all of you who have helped me figure this patina thing out, especially John Keeton, and Paul Gilbert for their insights and information. I welcome critique on this. Please don't hold back, every comment is helpful.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling