I have a pretty basic workbench that I knocked up as I was beginning to get into woodworking, about a year ago. I have definitely discovered as time goes by and I am trying to get more done that the limitations of the bench are really bothering me - namely, workholding.

I do not have any vises or holes for dogs/holdfasts, so I spend a lot of time messing with clamping workarounds that really don't work. Most of the work I have been doing is furniture such as bookcases and tables. I would like to start making chests, drawers and the like, and I know that my bench won't be up to snuff to that type of work. I also have not really gotten into hand planing much yet and would like to, as soon as I can get my planes tuned up so that they work properly.

What might be the most appropriate options for the type of work I've been doing and would like to do? A leg vise appeals for its holding ability and versatility, but what other options might be best for my 'needs'? I'd appreciate all the advice I can get - searching for the web just adds to the confusion sometimes!