Thread: Something better than masking tape from HD?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Something better than masking tape from HD?

Ok, until now its all been fun and one-off projects. Now I got the idea to make up a batch of keychains for the range picnic next weekend. I wanted to cut 49 out of some 12x12 ply I had. Good plan, I thought.

I first covered the entire sheet with masking tape. Wide roll. I had to put like 4 or 5 strips across to cover the board. Got that done. Now in the laser for engraving and cutting. Ok, that went ok. Didn't take long either.

Then I spend like 3 hours peeling masking tape off each individual keychain. There must be a better way, and faster. I would like something I can go get from a local store as I don't have time to order and get it shipped here and get more made by Saturday.

So, what is a better way to protect the surface of the plywood from smoke damage/coloring? I am open to any suggestions. I just got back from Home Depot with a load of plumbing fixtures to make my water cooling more finished (mounting els and nipples on the bucket lid) and professional looking. I also picked up a ball valve and two barbs to allow me to adjust the airflow to the head. I still didn't get parts for the air accumilator. They were out of brass barbs.

So any thoughts on different techniques or different tape or other surface protector preferably with a local source?
    Last edited by Mike Null; 08-25-2014 at 7:45 AM.
    [SIZE=1]Generic Chinese 50w 300x500
    Lulzbot TAZ 5 3D Printer

Corel X7, Photoshop CS6, Lightroom 4
    Modo, Bryce, Poser

If You Can Read, Thank A Teacher. If You Can Read It In English, Thank A Veteran
    That's what you do in a herd: you look out for each other. - Manny from Ice Age