Thread: What Am I doing wrong? I use to sharp and get a decent edge.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What Am I doing wrong? I use to sharp and get a decent edge.

Hi,

I have not posted for years, but I alway read all the postings.

I read recently about what is "sharp", all comments and suggestions. Well, I decided to go a polish my skills, pun intended.

I have always sharp my chisels and planes by hand. I have a Tormek, but I never liked the hollow bevel.

My Veritas Low angle Jack plane was having problem, it was not able to plane full shavings, it was like jumping a little bit. It was time for sharpening.

I decided to start from scratch and flat the back ( I did that, long time ago. It was not a great job, so I used the rule trick to get a small area to be flat until now.)
    I started flattening the back with my coarser diamond plate, I had hard time removing the small flat area that the "rule trick" leaves.
    I had to do it to get it completely flat. I did that (I suppose I did it.)

I went to all the other steps, coarse, fine diamond, then Norton water stones 1K, 4K, 8K, green compound and leather. I flatten my stones very often, so they were flat.
    I thought it was flat, but It wasn't. I sharped the bevel and went to plane.
    It was worse that before sharpening. I know what happen the two sides didn't meet at 0 degrees. It was like planning with a screwdriver. You know what I mean the bevel and back didn't meet.

I tried to fix it and I started again, using my granite block and sand paper for the back and bevel. I felt the burr since the coarse sandpaper. It got smaller and smaller with the finer grit. I reached the 8K, and the burr was almost non existent. I could feel it, but it was tiny.
    I went to plane and again, the plane is not right.

I am stuck, I don't know what to do. I am not new to sharpening, doing it for several years now. I cannot understand what I am doing wrong now.
    I didn't want to use the David Charlesworth "rule trick" so I wanted to have a mirror finish on my plane blade, but I screw it out. You might ask why? well because I wanted to have a mirror finish not other reason.

My only option now is to go to the Tormek and use the rule trick, unless any of you guys have a suggestion.

A little help needed here.

Last edited by Fidel Fernandez; 08-30-2014 at 11:43 PM.