About 8 or 9 years ago, I made my first work bench with a leg vise. At the time I use a length of 3/4-10 all thread for the screw. As expected, it has failed, and I need to replace it. I am thinking of using a wooden screw, but I don't have a thread box or tap.

For a one off job, I was wondering how difficult it is to just layout and cut the threads by hand using a saw and chisel? I'm not concerned with the time it takes (this is a hobby after all), but more with what my chances of making something that will work are vs. the chances that I will end up with a useless, large dowel with ugly little rings around it.

I guess the same question goes for the nut which I'm guessing I would split in half and cut the threads on the inside half then glue back together. I imagine cutting the inside threads are more difficult, but since the length is not so long, it might go quicker than the screw.

I'm also interested in the ideal profile for the threads. I imagine that when they are cut with a threading box, the profile is something of a compromise between what the cutter can effectively do and the ideal for the screw itself, but if they are cut by hand, maybe this isn't so much the case?

I could just buy a screw or a threading kit, but honestly I'm just as interested in trying to make one by hand as I am in fixing my leg vise .

Anyone have much experience doing it this way that could share your experience or pain?

Thanks,
Jeff