Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
You might just want to check that data- EVERY call made is being RECORDED. The Utah data center is said to have enough capacity to store everything ever created to date.

EVERY call IS being recorded. That's not even a point of debate at this point in time. It's been admitted in front on congress. The carriers have no say so in it. Screaming libertarians or not.

If you don't think this is happening, you need to look into a little more.

Here's the data center that's being built :

http://www.wired.com/2012/03/ff_nsadatacenter/all/

Here's how large it is, in terms of storage :

"the Pentagon is attempting to expand its worldwide communications network, known as the Global Information Grid, to handle yottabytes (1024 bytes) of data. (A yottabyte is a septillion bytes—so large that no one has yet coined a term for the next higher magnitude.)"
The problem is, your Wired articles site no sources that actually confirm any of what they claim. They can say whatever they want, secure in the knowledge that no NSA official will either confirm or deny.

And his own facts don't jive with his claims. For example, he says "The NSA has long been free to eavesdrop on international satellite communications. But after 9/11, it installed taps in US telecom “switches,” gaining access to domestic traffic. An ex-NSA official says there are 10 to 20 such installations."

Well, there are literally thousands of switches in the U.S. The baby bells have hundreds, the 2nd and 3rd tier carriers many, many more. You are going to need access to each one of them before you can claim you're recording all calls. I'd be satisfied with half and a statistics slight of hand. But 10 to 20?

So I'm afraid I'd just have to clump these sorts of claims into the conspiracy theory category. And I'm not ready to start wearing my tinfoil hate so they can't read my mind.

Not yet.