Thread: Which saw for tenons?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Which saw for tenons?

Good evening folks,
    Ive read several posts on this in the archives and Im still struggling a bit to figure this out. Im learning to cut M&T joints by hand. I use my veritas small dovetail saw to cut the cheeks and I get a pretty decent result. But its SLOW for cutting cheeks. That dovetail saw is 14 tpi with a cut depth of about 1 9/16". I have these questions:

1) LV sells a carcass rip saw that has 12 tpi. It has a cutting depth of 2 3/8". Will 2 tpi less make a noticable difference in my cutting speed? Enough to warrant $79 for the saw?

2) LV sells a tenon rip saw with 9 tpi. Id expect that to cut much faster, but will that saw be harder to control? (Im still learning handsaw skills. This saw has a 16" blade with a 4" cutting depth.) This saw is $115.

3) Or at my skill level, should I stick with the dovetail saw (because its very controllable) and just live with the speed for now?

Im not ready to learn saw sharpening yet and so Im thinking a new, moderately priced Veritas is a better path for now than going rust hunting. I dont imagine ever needing more than a couple inches of cut depth - I dont build huge things like entertainment centers or beds.

Id appreciate your thoughts and experienced advise here.

Thanks,
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 12-10-2014 at 7:19 PM. Reason: clarify
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”