Thread: Need Advise, Flattening a Plane Iron or Chisel Back

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Need Advise, Flattening a Plane Iron or Chisel Back

Hi All, I have been working on flattening the backs of plane irons and chisels, and have been using DMT diamond stones, and also sandpaper on a flat surface.

David mentioned self stick Mirka gold sanding rolls for flattening plane souls, and I have found it on Ebay, but it is a little pricy. Still, usually you get what you pay for. I have a large granite dead flat plate, but am thinking about a smaller one that I could use inside on my desk.

Because of our recent car wreck and rehab from the injuries, I wear out fairly quickly standing up working in the garage, even if only doing relatively light work, and the garage is not heated so being inside appeals. With the smaller block I can set at a chair at the desk which will be easier on me. I do have to be careful though, because I have a 20 lbs weight restriction for the time being, and am being careful to not go beyond that 20 lbs.

The question is, how do you get the sandpaper off when it is shot? I have read that it can be soaked with paint thinner or mineral spirits, and the mineral spirit will soak thru the paper, and the adhesive will give up after a bit.

Secondly does the Mirka Gold stand up to water, so that you can use water on it like you can wet or dry sandpaper for a lubricant?

Any other advise on using it or flattening a plane iron or chisel back relatively quickly will be appreciated. To this point it has been a very time consuming pain to get each one done. At least they only have to be done one time each.

Finally is any other sandpaper also good, that costs less than the Mirka? (If the Mirka is actually cheapest in the long run, I will go with it.)

Thanks and regards,

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 12-15-2014 at 10:59 PM.