Thread: Big, deep, heavy Ogee bowl

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Big, deep, heavy Ogee bowl

When I had to move this piece of wood out of my back shed to accommodate my wife's need to store some Christmas decorations in plastic bins, I decided then that I wanted to turn a big heavy bowl from this piece of ambrosia maple.

I have been working on it here and there for the last few days.....actually started it this past Monday, and turned it a little at a time, and let it acclimate to the release of tension in the wood and the drying process and temperature changes it would encounter......each session, I just left it on the lathe and let it do its thing.

I knew it would move, and in the final analysis, it ovaled 1/4", so that is not bad. I wanted heavy, and left the walls 1/2" thick......could have easily turned it thinner, but this is actually made as a center piece and can be used for any type of display......fruit, flowers, etc. ....or a big mountain of biscuits! Ballast!

It is almost 14" wide at the rim and 9" deep with an ogee shape. Thanks to all who posted in the wet sanding and inside bowl technique threads earlier. This is my offering to increase the amount of postings on SMC.

DSC_0635.JPG DSC_0636.JPG DSC_0639.jpg Comments welcome!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 01-26-2015 at 3:43 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!