Thread: Re-finishing Bay Window Seat - NEED HELP

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re-finishing Bay Window Seat - NEED HELP

Hi all. I have a large bay window seat that is in need of refinishing. The previous owners had a small dog that liked to scratch it up and they also watered plants on it that stained the wood. I'm planning on removing the old finish and then re-sanding and prepping the surface to be re-seal and finished.

As far as finishing it, I have done a lot of research and am still unsure what my best option would be. I want something that is very durable for photo frames, candles, plants, and anything else my other half places on it. It gets some sunlight from the windows in the summer months and also may get a little rain if a window is ever mistakenly left open during a storm.

I've looked into regular oil based polyurethane (Minwax, General Finishes, etc.), single part spar urethane/varnish (Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane), two part spar urethane/varnish, marine based urethane/varnish (Sherwin Williams, Epifanes, etc.), or even an epoxy resin pour.

Most of you guys have a ton more experience with this kind of stuff than I do, being a younger new home owner, so any help would be very appreciated. What would you recommend I finish it with? Please be very specific as to brand name and exact line of finish as there are so many of them out there it's easy to get confused. I'd like to do it right the first time and have it last many years without having to worry about it again.

Thanks for any help!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (59.0 KB, 27 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (68.1 KB, 25 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (80.0 KB, 37 views)