I work with a guy who free hand copes crowns on a TS (not saw stop) all the time, blade raised full up so its nearly a vertical drop like a key cutter. Some guys look at this and think he's nuts, but its pretty much safe, if you take small bites, no kick back danger, much like a cope master tool except for the template guide, unusual technique thats highly effective on very hard woods. Just saying, like Shawn points out above, lots of ways to use a table saw that are unusual but not necessarily tragic. Its all about understanding stock control and avoiding the pinch points. They used to call it a variety saw for a reason! I have books that show you how to set up the same basic operation JR presented but on a shaper. I've done it with stop rabbits and a 5" cutter head on a shaper, block on each end of a long fence, easy, but you sure had better be fully aware of your stock path, have proper stock control, use a BG test chip limiting head and have the spindle blocked off so your hands don't interact with the spindle as they pass by. First time I did it al the hair was standing up on my neck, then you realize its actually quite simple. No less than Aigner sells a fixture for doing this very thing! They are in the safety business. They can't be crazy too? Just because you don't understand a technique doesn't make it inherently dangerous, but if you don't understand an advanced technique and attempt it anyway missing some of the salient points it could get bad quick. I see other pros at work doing things all the time I would never do, but I don't attack them for the way they work, I do try to understand what they are doing and how I might be comfortable abosrbing some of what they know into my repertoire of tricks.