I am making some 8", 8 sided columns out of makore. The machining is perfect, they will stand there just slipped together and all the joints are perfect, and they are all splined so I don't have to worry about alignment. Couple of wraps of shrink wrap around them dry and they fit awesome.

Then I have to glue them.......

I wet the surfaces down with a wet rag to give myself more time, and went for it with Titebond II. Two of the opposing joints are not glued as they have to come back apart for some additional machining on the inside. Ratchet straps are not an option, this is for a $7K table and can have no marks. I used 3/8 surgical tubing in with three stretched wraps in five places and clamps on the ends to help.

The problem is coming from the glue starting to set on the first pieces I glue up before I can get the rest of them glued. I had my splines pre-glued into every other piece so I did not have to mess with that. I just can't get it all done fast enough working alone. I may switch to epoxy so I have unlimited open time, but that will require the first coat on the whole piece to be West System or it will show in the finish. Not a deal breaker, but a pain I was not planning on.

I think I will make a pair of helpers with an octagon shape on the inside with a slight taper that can be tapped on the ends to get then set quickly and help to hold then. The one I just finished turned out all right but it was a battle and it could be better.

So........ Let hear your tricks to make this go more smoothly. This is something I have always struggled with.