I'm getting close to actually starting to cut wood on a blanket/hope chest for my daughter. I've been totally over-thinking the design, but there is one big decision I need to make right from the start. My daughter really likes mid-century modern design, and I've come up with a clean design that she likes on paper (or Sketchup). It is simply a box with the sides sloped in by 10deg on four turned legs. I think I'm going to use plywood for the box sides for the uniformity and the clean look of no joints (both speaking more to my ability to do a fairly large glue up than to anything else). I'm planning on using either Baltic Birch or Cherry ply and darkening with stain or dye. So my crazy idea is to orient the grain on the plywood vertically instead of horizontally. A part of me thinks that with the relativly subtle grain of the plywood (which I think is appropriate for the design) it won't matter much. But it could be a unique design feature or it could look atrocious or just wrong. I'm open to any of your thoughts on this idea.