i just bought a Bosch glide style miter saw and decided to design a new cabinet to go along w/it. i'm thinking about using both my dust collector (ClearVUE / 6" snaplock) as well as a shop vac. This is a new shop and the very first cabinet to be built. All i have in place right now is my stationary machines and the ClearVue.

so i was thinking...would it help much to try and pull dust from the miter saw base area and maybe from behind. So there would be a hollow area under the entire saw about 4-5" deep with holes in it towards the back half of the table. Also maybe a way to pull dust from behind <-- imagine a backsplash that is really a box that is 4" deep that goes up about 10" and has a bunch of holes in it. Possibly let the backsplash turn each corner.

Anyway...when i start laying it out it looks like the space needed to make a hollow box would take up a lot of room and this saw already sticks out a good bit so i'm having second thoughts. Now i'm thinking maybe just make an enclosure on the back and sides and put holes in the base.

i know folks have done a lot of designs so maybe y'all have already debated this but i haven't seen anything.

Here's a couple pictures...hopefully they make sense. The first is a view from the front and the other is a view from the top. In this picture i'm showing the backsplash as just 3/4" wood...no box. I could do this and put a top of in and just pull from beneath.

miter table v1.png