Thread: Shop Smith - Just as a drill & lathe?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Shop Smith - Just as a drill & lathe?

I'd very much like to add a drill press to my shop. I don't NEED a lathe, and I'm insane to even consider one given how little space I have, but I sure would LIKE to own a lathe.

Yeah, I know, serious w-workers love to rag on Shop Smith, and I understand the typical reasons. However, I'd ONLY be using it for the above 2 tasks, and I can bring home a model 10ER tomorrow, seemingly complete and running well, for $100.

I can't buy a decent drill press for $100. Plus, I like the concept of horizontal boring, for many tasks.
    ----------

So... Can anyone tell me what the limitations are of this machine, for just those two functions?

1: One that I see is that the vertical drill doesn't quite have the capacity of a floor-standing DP. I believe the SS is limited to about 34" Would you consider this to be a potential problem?

2: There is a video on Youtube where a 10ER owner actually kludged-on some pulleys, to bring the speed down to where he felt it was good for drilling. Is the stock unit actually way too fast to be a proper DP?

3: As a lathe, it is probably a little underpowered, Yes? - but then again, for $100?
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 05-30-2015 at 12:07 AM.