I'm ready to pull the trigger on a Nicholson Workbench build (because my first workbench, while it turned out great - I did many things wrong design wise).

I'm MOSTLY following Chis Schwarz design, with a few twists. The big twist is in the top - I'm making mine a split top. 2" gap (because my largest clamps can then be used thru the gap) with a gapstop (wood for gapstop to be determined - but I have some walnut and some cherry that might do nicely.) The wood is Douglas Fir (2x12's and 2x10's culled from the Big Orange Borg) - I've been seasoning it in my shop for about the last 3 months - so it should be close to equilibrium.

The Schwarz version has a solid top made of doubled up 2x12 (so it's 3 inches thick) - I'm going the same route, except for a 2" gap in the dead center. My bench will be 24" wide - so each "slab" is 11" wide. From leg to leg (the legs are per Schwarz design) - is 48".

My concern is that the unsupported center of the bench (both front-to-back center and side-to-side) will have a tendency to sag - or, worse, the bench will be a bouncy when planing stock. I could just build it and retrofit bracing, but like when you are sawing - if you start right, ending right is much easier.

I'm thinking I can get away with one bearer, dead center, so there will be less than 24 inches from leg to bearer on either side. But MAYBE I need 2. I'm noodling in Sketchup and 3 looks like overkill (the bearers end up about 8 7/8 apart).

So - my question is - do the "experts" think I need a bearer across the middle? Or 2 bearers? Or 3?

Weight is not an issue - this isn't meant to be a knockdown bench. I am bolting the legs on (again, following in CS's footsteps) but that's only so I can get the bench out of the shop if/when I move.

TIA -

bd