Thread: Right tool(s) for the job

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Right tool(s) for the job

Hello everyone,

I have several pieces of a tree trunk that fell in my yard after a recent storm. Each piece is roughly cylindrical, 18-24 inches diameter and about 12-15 inches long.

I'd like to make a small end table out of one of the pieces, starting by cutting a medallion-shaped slice (say 2-3 inches thick) from one end to form the tabletop. I have access to a well-equipped shop, but I am unsure what tool is best (and safest) for doing so:

• The table saw seems inappropriate, since the blade cannot be adjusted to anywhere near as high as the diameter of the pieces, and the irregular surface (bark) of each piece would make it very difficult to align multiple cuts (in the plane of the saw blade), even using the fence.
    • We also have a band saw, but the size of the raw pieces would again seem to make it tricky to push a cylindrical hunk through safely while still keeping it flush against any sort of guide.
    • Finally, we have a compound mitre saw, but its reach is nowhere near big enough.

The only other idea I had was to build some sort of clamping jig/sled for multiple passes on the table saw. But could anyone suggest a better/cleaner/more appropriate way to make that initial cut? (Once I have the medallion, I'll align the top and bottom faces using the planer/jointer, and proceed from there.)

Thanks very much in advance for any ideas.

-Jon
    Last edited by Jon Heywood; 06-14-2015 at 9:20 PM. Reason: Cleanup/formatting