Thread: Shapton Pro Stones Questions

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Shapton Pro Stones Questions

I bunch of years ago I purchased 1500 / 5000 / 8000 Shapton Pro stones. I also bought the compact lapping plate / stone holder. This is NOT the $300 one the have today, I think it was like $80 back then. I also have the Shapton lapping powders in coarse, mediums, and fine. Well, I bought all this before the days of YouTube, or at least before I used it.

Lately I have been trying to improve my sharpening, handplane, and chisel skills with decent results. During this I have been brushing up on my sharpening. In some instances I get a great handplane surface and not so much on others. Like tonight I got a better surface off my LN 102 block plane (like glass) then my 4 1/2 that I both just sharpened and setup. Maddening. The wood was mahogany. While reviewing sharpening videos apparently it is "important" to keep your stones flat, make sense

Ok, how do it do this using what I have? Do I wet the stone and put the powder on the stone? I can't find any instructions anywhere. Somebody must have this system. The 5000 stone needs work but the other two are pretty close.

Any other tips on flattening the stones would also be appreciated.

image.jpg
    Last edited by Jebediah Eckert; 06-27-2015 at 11:06 PM.