Thread: G0766 - Banjo upgrade experiment

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

G0766 - Banjo upgrade experiment

Well with all the talk about the banjo on the 0766, I decided to do an experiment. Now the stock banjo works fine for most bowl turning , and it is just if one wants to turn a long cylinder that is as big as the 22" diameter swing that the stock banjo is a little short in the distance from the center

I talked to the folks at Oneway about the 0766 and which banjo would be right for it. Interesting! The banjo for the 20" amd 24" Oneway's have a too tall post supports cast into them to be usable on the G0766.......they are just too tall.

However, the one they make for the 16" lathe was designed for use with their outboard bed extension, and will allow for a 24" diameter piece, which would be 12" away from the center line of the lathe, and is for a 1" post and you can get the clamp plate for 1.5" gap between the ways. The post support is shorter than the ones on the 20 and 24" banjos, so that should work. The part number is H0082.

I ordered one to try it out, and if for some reason it does not work, I can send it back for a full refund. I will report back once I get it in and set up on my G0766, and let you know if this aftermarket option takes this 0766 up towards an ideal level.

Back at the beginning when I first ordered the 0766, I had been thinking about upgrading the banjo. I had watched a video of Bob Hamilton, where he used a oneway banjo on his Nova DVR, and had taken note of the extra length he could get on that, so it has been in my mind for a good while....even back when I had my 0698.........I think this will be a great addition to the 0766 arsenal.

Stay tuned for an update on this........it will likely be the end of next week before it arrives.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 07-09-2015 at 11:51 AM. Reason: additional info
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!