I missed the thread about starting this forum but just found the actual forum. I am interested in the topic and thought I would get started with a few low tech. questions.

I have 12 acres in north Metro Atlanta and have played with the idea of making lumber or trying to get someone with a sawmill out. The issue for me has been figuring out where I would store drying lumber. I actually have a dog training building, built on stilts which could provide a roof over drying lumber but I have yet to design something to store boards in. Would lumber be better off in an open air area that was covered? I also have a closed room, with large sliding door, currently with a dirt floor, that I have been thinking about building a floor for?

I have rough cut a few logs with my chain saw and I have come close to buying an "alaskan sawmill" several times. I bought a large Husky chain saw about a year ago with a 20" blade that can handle a 24" blade easily. I have a good deal of wood on the flood plain of a creek and the hill along the creek valley. Trees are constantly falling down and taking other trees down in the process. I hate letting all the wood just waste away. I have tons of sycamore and poplar, ash, maple, red & white oak, hickory, a good deal of black walnut, beech, birch... Trees end up in the creek regularly. I harvest a few logs for green wood projects but I have been trying to come up with a way to harvest a few boards too. Would some sort of chain saw attachment allow me to harvest rough boards from a small but constant supply of trees?