I'm starting a project that will have some tough rip cuts, and I needed a more aggressive rip saw than the one I already had. I'm pleased with what I found, pleased enough that I thought I'd post some pictures. (Note: I think I paid a fair price for it, but not a bargain price, so even though I'm happy with it, it's not "suckable.")

I'm partial to Bishop saws because they were made in my state, Indiana, at least for the company's last couple of decades. The company started in Cincinnati in the 1880's and moved to Indiana in about 1899. This one is marked Cincinnati, so it was probably made in the late 1800's.

I've already sharpened it, but the teeth were in good condition and didn't need to be reshaped. It's marked No. 8, 28 inches, 5.5 ppi, with a short section at the toe at 7 ppi. I've never used a saw with a thumb hole before. I wasn't sure I'd like that, and it feels a little strange to have my index finger curled into the hole rather than extended along the side of the handle, but it's not uncomfortable. I noticed that the handle covers the top of the plate, which I've seen before only on Disston saws. I don't know if it was more common with this sort of handle or not. The only significant problem is that the top horn was broken off and reattached with a screw and a couple of small nails. Certainly not the way I'd repair it, but I don't think I'm going to risk doing more damage by trying to take out the screw and nails.

The etch, most of which is still legible, is sort of interesting. It says the saw was expressly made for H. F. Schlegelmilch of Eau Claire, Wisconsin. Herman Schegelmilch was a gun smith and had a gun shop and hardware store in Eau Claire, so this was probably sold in that store.

2015-07-28 10.17.09.jpg 2015-07-28 10.17.30.jpg 2015-07-28 10.18.04.jpg 2015-07-28 10.18.10.jpg 2015-07-28 10.18.33.jpg