Thread: Best surface off the tool?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Best surface off the tool?

I have been working on a fairly large black walnut bowl, and have gone through several tools and techniques for getting a better surface before sanding. I have used both 45 degree and 60 degree grind gouges, and have used freshly sharpened scrapers at a shear angle.

Not satisfied with my results, I used shellac to stiffen the fibers and used both shear scrapes with both a bowl gouge wing and then shear scrape with a 1" round nose scraper. Still not satisfied, I pulled out the Hunter #4 carbide tool with new cutter head and shear scraped with it........still not satisfied!

Maybe it is this particular piece of wood......these techniques in the past have yielded superb results, but not this time!

I cannot go any thinner on the cuts as it would likely create a hole in the bottom of the bowl, and at present I have another coat of shellac on it, and have intentions of wet sanding this beginning at 80 grit and going on up. Perhaps it will fill the pores a bit, and then I will probably apply some WOP and then wet sand that.

Any better ideas on tools/techniques that might give me some better results? Just as an example of previous results I have gotten, the image is of another bowl from a different walnut tree.......you can see the finish turned out well........I just can't figure this particular piece as to why it is giving me the trouble it is

IMGP4064.JPG
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 10-09-2015 at 5:22 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!