hi folks,

this is my first post here, i find you all so helpful i'm hoping you can shed some light for me!

i bought a restored 20" rockwell bandsaw recently. it has a 3 ph 1 hp motor, with a secondary 3 ph 1.5 hp motor acting as the static converter / "idler" to make it work in my single phase shop. due to a mishap, i blew up the capacitor and seem to have burnt out the auxillary 1.5 hp motor. possibly damaged the initial motor too but i don't know. repairing it is going to be expensive, and 1 hp seems small for a 20" saw that i am going to use for re-sawing. so i am thinking to just get a single phase motor, maybe 3hp if i can find one. so my question is can i simply install a new 1 ph 3 hp motor? i know i may need to change switch and wiring. it is on a 2 pole 20a breaker so that shoud be fine. but my main questions are about the motor swap. does the frame size matter or can i just remount a new motor and drill new mounting holes? does shaft dia. matter? as long as i get the same rpm (1725) and same size pulleys? does belt length matter?

admittedly i know very little about motors! lots of research but still can't find answers to these questions. i gather new pulleys are easily found at any auto store, i could replace belt with link belt but not sure how to calculate belt length from final position? the original motor is a 203 frame which is hard to find used and i have no budget for a new motor... hoping to find something decent on CL (i am in the middle of nowhere canada!)

any and all advice and expertise would be so greatly appreciated! i am just getting started making furniture, but setting up my shop is quite overwhelming, as i know how to use the machines but not set them up or tweek them! and then there s the electrical stuff which is not how my woodworkers brain is wired!

thanks in advance, i am super grateful for anyone's help here! cheers, tracy