Hey folks.

I'm not much an instrument builder, but I needed to touch-up spray some nitro on one of my guitars, over the existing nitro finish. I was feeling lazy (AKA "foolish) and decided to just use Deft spray-can stuff. It says it's 100% nitro, and the adjustable nozzle gives a fairly decent spray.

So far I only did 2 light coats, 30 minutes apart. It needs more, of course. - but I already got a little run in the middle of the body, about 2" long.

What's the best way to remove this & procede? Since the new finish is a hair shinier than the original, (Yes, I shook the can like crazy) and I prefer the original, I thought I'd try taking it all down with fine steel wool. Is that a reasonable idea, and would that also remove the run, or should I first use sandpaper?

Any other tips before I finish this thing? It's a valuable guitar (yeah I know, but I'm broke) so all advice is appreciated.

----------------------

FWIW - This is a Trussart Steelcaster. - One of the original ones without any mesh in the body. Lovely, and incredible to play due to massive dynamics and overtones. Oh my.... But as you may know, he finishes these by letting them rust, then applies the nitro.

There was a large "distressed" area on the front that I always hated as it was TOO clean, so I finally decided to do something about it. I heated it carefully with a torch so it would quickly rust in that area. (this worked great) and now have to get nitro over that area. The new nitro doesn't quite match the look of the old, so now I've pulled it apart and will do a few light coats over the whole thing.

So.... that's where I'm at.