Thread: Dust collector "upgrade" and CFM readings

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Dust collector "upgrade" and CFM readings

Greetings,

Edit > It appears I have entered square inches instead of square feet on my meter > .196 vs .134

The correct numbers are in
    red..

To recap...

I started with a two bagger, 2 HP no name dust collector with an 11" impeller. For years, I've been hauling around 20' of 4" hose and it worked well enough

The purchase of an edge sander plus getting tired of tripping over the hose prompted this upgrade.

I did a lot of research on different brands/models and decided, for a one man shop using one tool at a time, I really didn't Need a larger system but I did want better control over fine dust And a better/easier way to dispose of the shavings. Dragging out the canvas bag to empty and finessing the clamp back on was one of my least looked forward to tasks, sigh...

The addition of a canister filter did eliminate the "puff of dust at start up" but there was still a slow accumulation of fine dust everywhere.

Using the motor/impeller I added an Oneida Super Dust Deputy, their 35-gallon dust bin, a Wynn filter and a remote control.

Old set up.

1 - old system.jpg

New set up.

Cyclone install done.jpg

Overall shot with 5" spiral runs and 5" flex hose at collection ports.

16 - final set up.jpg

Close up of band saw.

15 - band saw hook up.jpg

Close up of thickness planer.

14 - planer hook up.jpg

The new system has been up and running for about a month now and I've been very pleased.

Especially with the total cost of about $2200 which is a fraction of a larger systems cost and didn't require any new wiring.

Although the dust bin is only slightly more than half full, the clean out box on the Wynn filter has less dust in it than what is on my coffee table

Too early to tell but I'm hoping I won't experience any of the filter cleaning problems I've read about, the cyclone appears to very efficient.

The majority of what is in there is fine dust from the SCMS, band saw and stroke sander. Maybe an 8' board of jointing/planing for jigs and testing.

I purchased an anemometer for $50 Cdn from eBay and it finally arrived > http://www.ebay.com/itm/261486368012....N36.S1.R1.TR2

All readings were taken with the fan of the meter in the middle of the 5" hose/collector port opening.

My straightest run is to the band saw with about a short 30 degree turn at collection. CFM is 462, velocity is 3400. I have enlarged the opening for the blade at the top of the bottom door and flared the edges outward. This allows for more intake air..

The run to the jointer has 10' of clear flex hose and a gentle 180 degree turn, readings were 422/3100. Less of a loss than I was expecting using that much flex hose compared to the band saw's run.

The run to the thickness planer has a short 160 (?) degree turn but still read 435/3200. If the readings are taken with the meter on the inside of the curve they were 503/3700.

The run to the stroke sander is reasonably straight and read 476/3500.

This is where it gets interesting !

I had some 6" hose left over from hooking up the dust bin and thought I would use it on the SCMS since it is a gentle 180 degree turn of 6'. The reasoning was maybe the larger diameter of the hose would overcome the curves static pressure loss ? Not so, readings were 340/2500.

I redid the run with 5" hose and the readings went up to 448/3300.

This makes me question suggestions of increasing the main trunk to 6" from the SDD's 5" inlet.

I'm used to using the hose as a "vacuum cleaner" on the floor so I hooked up 6' of 4" hose to the thickness planer run. The 4" hose is much easier to manipulate than the 5"...

Readings were 340/2500, the same as the 6" hose on the SCMS.

This also reaffirmed my decision to change over all my machines dust port openings to 5".

Please note, if anyone is considering this "upgrade" with a lesser motor/impeller such as mine, running with two dust ports opened at the same time reduced the CFM to roughly half at each port.

Cheers, Don
    Last edited by Don Kondra; 10-18-2015 at 8:58 PM.
    Don Kondra – Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photographer