Thread: I need to bite the Shop Vac type 'dust collector bullet' - but which one?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I need to bite the Shop Vac type 'dust collector bullet' - but which one?

Short background info: total amateur with a bit of experience, putting in about 4 hours per week in a small room with so-so ventilation. Place is kept clean, but can and need to do much better.

Have been doing a LOT of reading (including threads on these and other forums, reviews, etc.) and I'm more confused than when I started...lol...

Bear with me, please. Considering 2 main scenarios:

1. Build around a Ridgid 1450: Vac, a DustDeputy, an extra hose, an adapter (for different hose sizes), and one of those electrical switches that start vac and tool simultaneously. Total cost: around $300

Advantages: cheaper and gets the job done given my simple needs.
    Cons: very noisy, no variable suction control, lesser long-term reliability.

2. Build around a Mirka Dust Collector (apparently as good as Festool and much quieter) plus dust deputy.

Pros: ideal setup. Has all the features I need and want.
    Cons: runs about $800 when everything is said and done.

I can afford either one, but I'm not wealthy by any stretch of the imagination. I would go for the Ridgid (noise can be handled), but my greatest fear is that it won't perform well with the Deros sander I'm getting due to the lack of suction control. I hate to buy cheaper stuff only to have to replace it later. But I also hate to spend more than I absolutely need to.

so, my question is this: which bullet should I bite? What's my best long-term move? Am I exaggerating the possible problems with the sander? Do I really need the DustDeputy if I get the top-of-the-line Mirka?

please, help. I need all the advice I can get!
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-26-2016 at 10:08 AM.