I recently purchased a boxed set of bluegrass chisels. I got them for a good price, though they do have some problems. one of the set is missing (though it's handle is not). two of the leather hooped handles have chunks of wood missing from apparently being whacked too hard. they appear to have survived either a flood, a leaky roof or some other extended waterlogging event. lots of rust, the box is badly warped, the hinges blown and wood missing. there are bits and pieces of label extant, but more gone than not. someone went after them with a wire wheel (and a grinder) with the predictable unfortunate result. at the moment they are soaking in vinegar. we'll see how they clean up. when they get a little further along I'll post some pics.

they appear to be a fairly high end "fancy" set. at first I thought the handles were rosewood, but after a little exploration I'm thinking they are something more like padauk. the handles are a stylish variation on the usual socket chisel handle, ala stanley 750. they are long bladed bevel edge bench chisels, really nice looking tools. I have been practicing at making chisel handles. convincingly reproducing the damaged ones will be an interesting challenge.

the missing chisel is the 1/2". I went digging and found a similar 1/2" chisel with the label lakeside. slipped the handle on and dropped it in place. it is a dead ringer for the set. I know that both lakeside and bluegrass were "house brands" made by someone other than the retailer. I wonder who made them, and if perhaps belknap hardware (blue grass) and montgomery ward (lakeside) sourced these chisels from the same manufacturer and if any of you can clue me in on who that might have been.