Hey Folks,

Just wanted to follow up on a post I made a few weeks back. I invested in a JJP-12 and had some issues with the accuracy of the machine after it was moved to my basement. Granted, I did have to remove the tables to get it in there, but frankly it stunk on ice when I carefully reassembled it. So, I looked to the knowledge and generosity of the woodworking community and was not let down.

John Coloccia, by sheer coincidence, posted a very comprehensive process for tuning my exact machine just days after I realized that I was unhappy with mine. I sent him a PM and he responded in short order offering to help. I followed his process with my brand new dial indicator and straight edge, neither of which I had a clue how to use. I thought I had it pretty close, but after some tests I'd created the dreaded convex joint (I had no idea that was as bad as it was, until someone told me).

Enter John. We spoke on the phone a couple of times and me being in over my head I offered to pay him to travel to my place and tune the machine - a roughly 6 hour round trip, just driving. He agreed, but said he would not accept payment. Instead, he said, if you feel so inclined I have twin girls, get them a small gift and I'm sure they'll appreciate it. Talk about selfless! John came and conquered the machine, joints and faces were never so true. We chatted, but mostly stared at a dial indicator for ALMOST 8 HOURS! What a lesson in patience and process. He even helped me with my technique on how to joint a board. (yeah, if you know how it's easy, if you don't there are some subtleties that take years to understand - John showed me the secrets in just a few short lessons).

All in all I am now happy with my machine, privileged to have met someone like John and a lot smarter on what .001 actually means. :-)

Thanks John!

- Paul