Thread: Pipe Organ

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Pipe Organ

For my senior English project I have been building a small three stop pipe organ, which I thought some folks here might take interest in. I started about 20 weeks ago and it is only now making sound. It uses 42 metal pipes which I was given, and soon I will be making 84 more wooden pipes. The case is not finished either, and there are no knobs to control the stops. In a month or two it should be completely finished. Everything is mostly poplar and oak, the keyboard is made from yellowheart and sapele. It is not dependent on electricity like most organs, the bellows is hand pumped and the key action is all mechanical.
    IMG_5484.JPGIMG_5487.JPG
    This is a view into the windchest, which is were all the wind is directed to the pipes, the valves are at the bottom which allow air into the channels, from here it is distributed to all three sets of pipes. Next is the feeder bellows which is pumped in order to fill the reservoir. The air pressure is regulated by weights on top of the large bellows. Also is a view underneath the keyboard. I will put up some more pictures in a minute.
    IMG_5395.JPGIMG_5485.JPGIMG_5486.JPGIMG_5489.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images