While preparing my late model PM66 for a arbor and bearing change I noticed a small square 1 long piece of metal in the saw dust.
It looks like a square key such as used to secure a pulley to a shaft. With the cast iron top off I was able to get serious about cleanup so I set that aside and continued with the arbor replacement process.
That's when I noticed that the blade elevation mechanism seems to have a problem. The front handle that controls the up and down now has to spin 5 full revolutions before it starts lowering or raising the blade. The handle and shaft now back into and out of the saw when turned now instead of remaining stationary. There is approximately 3 inches of that shaft exposed.

I hope I've described this problem accurately. Another description would be the blade tilt handle, when it is used the handle remains stationary upon turning and the blade tilts to where ever you want it. Both locks on both handles work and both tilt and blade elevation operate very smoothly, no binding or grinding.
Any suggestion of help would be appreciated.

Walter