I have no idea what has invaded my yard but it has big time. We are having a very dry summer here in NJ and lack of rain has just about killed most of my backyard lawn or at least it went dormant. Has done this before and comes back. But this past week I noticed many many holes dug in the ground. Some are bigger than others All dug on a slight angle and go down about 6 to 8" Some not so deep. There is no pattern but you will see a group in one area and then another group in another area and then some individual ones. Never had this before in the 32 years in the house.

My question is what is it and how the heck do I get rid of it before my entire lawn is a mine field. I thought about moles but never seen them do this. I looked for signs of grubs because I think that is what moles look for but all test hols showed no signs of grubs and I tested pulling up the lawn by hand and that is not happeneing so I do not think it is grubs involved.

Any suggestions and how do I get rid of this. I went outside at night a few times the past couple days to see if I could see something but see nothing. It is getting frustrating. Help SOS!!!!