I will be buying a sliding table saw - Minimax SC-4 Elite - in the very near future. Right now, though, I am agonizing over whether to get the saw/shaper combo (I already have a J/P combo). The price difference appears to be $4-5k. For the sake of argument, let's assume that's not an issue.

I have a great router table - cast iron BenchDog top, Woodpeckers lift & fence, large router underneath. So far, this has done what I need it to do and I will not be getting rid of it.

I am a hobbiest who plans to build a lot of furniture and built-ins for family and friends, as well as dip my toe into selling some work.

My concern is that I will be dropping a lot of money on the sliding table saw and have a one-time opportunity to add a 5HP shaper with a large sliding table and a huge outrigger, without taking up any additional space. This seems like too good an opportunity to pass up. However, I have never used a shaper. I have read many threads today and watched several videos, but am still not sure why I would want one.

Can anyone offer some guidance here?