Hi everyone,

I've been using the bed extension for about a year and a half now, and I have enough space so I just leave it attached all the time. It allows me to get the tailstock waaay out of the way when I'm not using it without having to remove it from the lathe. The trouble is, the ways on the extension simply don't match those on the lathe. It is extremely difficult to slide the tailstock across the joint between the extension and the lathe bed. Loosening the clamp nut underneath the tail stock helps but only to an extent--if it's loosened too much then the clamp can't be tightened sufficiently, as the handle runs into the lathe bed. I have tried adjusting the alignment of the extension this way and that, waxing everything, oiling everything, even a bit of sanding the bottom side of the ways where the round clamp rides, and it still takes a forceful push to get the tail stock to travel across the joint.

Anyone have any experience with this? It seems like a pretty substantial manufacturing defect.

Ben