Thread: dust collection help in small shop

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

dust collection help in small shop

Hello

I have done a lot of reading on this site, been to all the links, i have a 4 car, witch one car still parks in.

I have not wood worked in a year, I bought a bunch of stuff last year, life happened, just getting back to it.

I have a JDS 1.5 HP collector, I had to run a run up and over and drop back down for my table saw, most of my tools are on wheels, so they go a round my TS, there is a trash can lid speerator there and the 4 inch pipe is wye'ed off with gates at each machine

over the last couple weeks i got my shop together and got the DC hooked up.

MY DC had the 6inch to 2x 4inch

I used corrugated drain hose for the runs (it was cheap I was in hurry and my dad was helping)

I dont have much flow at my tools and the 1 micron bad keeps clogging even with the trashcan separators

problems

1. low flow, my over table saw doe not pick up much dust, the super max drum sander leaves some dust,
    2. the separator work on everything but the fine sanding dust
    3. the filter bag clogs really bad

I started reading here and the links i found, I see that I should have larger hose running like 6 inch all the way to the tools, but then on bills site I read that 6 inch hose on a 1.5 HP collector did not have to the power to stop the hose from clogging so now i'm stuck (i though the 6inch was the way to go for the last few days)

I assume I need a larger DC, but my entire shop is 110V for a reason. our 400 amp service is nearly full and I don't have the money to upgrade to 600AMP or have another sub panel installed and all the wiring done. lucky all the circuits in the area are 20AMP so that helps

should i run 6 inch everywhere? if so do I 6 inch gate before my tools or just 4 inch since it has to reduce anyway? (the gate would be directly on the tool so tool > gate > reducer

should i buy a second DC and put it over by the table saw so i no longer need the up the wall across the ceiling and back down run (the run is about 30 feet total)

i was going to get the SDD to help with the dust and cloging. but that is $500 i dont mind spending it, the wife is onboard making changes ( i have bad asmtham) going to get a air filter for the shop also (looking at the supermax)

I just want to spend it right this time
    Last edited by Andrew R Miller; 01-06-2017 at 10:15 PM.